Sunday, February 5, 2017

DEMOLISHING THAT BARRIER

SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS

This past month I've had a couple of opportunities to speak to groups about Days for Girls and what we're doing in our Eugene/Springfield Chapter.

In January, I was the guest at Wesley United Methodist Church in Eugene, speaking to their women's group.  It was fun to see old friends Barbara and Jackie.  The group made a very much appreciated  donation to our chapter too!  The next day I learned about articles on Days for Girls in a couple of Methodist publications (the second link is inside the first).

Yesterday, on February 4th, I was in Corvallis at the regional conference of Lions International.  (This is the reason our workday is the 2nd Saturday this month).  I talked with a number of interested Lions from this part of the state.  I hope many of them are moved to support/join us in whatever way suits them best.

KENYA

While presenting to the Lions, I spoke about the group of 20 foreign women with disabilities that Mobility International brought to Eugene last summer.  Their three-week stay was busy with activities such as riding a city bus independently, a camping trip, self-defense, leadership and advocacy training, and much more.  I spoke to the group and gave each woman a kit, and over the next week made arrangements for 200 kits to go to women with disabilities in Nigeria.  Jemimah,  a woman from Kenya, said she would like her sewing group to make the kits, but they had no money for supplies.  I told her I could help with that.
With Jemimah last summer

So, the day before she left, I delivered a heavy duffle bag full of kit supplies--fabrics, PUL, etc. to her host family's home.

Just this morning, shortly after I'd been thinking of Jemimah, I received an email from the woman heading up the DFG Enterprise in Mobasa, Kenya with some photos of Jemimah and friends. She promises to send more as the kits are completed and distributed.

             

And then, this morning, I thought to see if there's a Facebook page for the DFG Enterprise in Mombasa.  There is, and in October they posted about what I had sent home with Jeremiah.


A NEWS REPORT
I thought you might enjoy this TV news clip from Utah.


NEXT WEEK

I'm hoping for a big turnout for our February workday next Saturday, the 11th.  It's very helpful if you bring basic sewing supplies, such a rotary cutter with a sharp blade, sharp scissors, seam ripper, and if you plan to sew or serge, your own machine.  Stop by any time after 10:30 and stay as long as you can--we're packed up and gone by 5 pm.  Don't forget to sign in.  And please help me remember to take pictures!  There are lots of places nearby to enjoy lunch--eating there or grabbing take-out, plus Our Sewing Room has a refrigerator and microwave.


WORLD VISION

Here's a story of how Days for Girls Australia worked with World Vision to get kits to girls in Somalia and Somaliland.

HELP US

I love this statement from the above World Vision link:

Menstrual Hygiene Management is vitally important as the challenges these women and girls face during menstruation prevent them from realising their human rights, turning a biological fact that almost all women experience into a barrier to gender equality.

 Won't you help us demolish that barrier?

DONATIONS

Because I was asked again yesterday at the Lions conference how folks could make monetary donations, I'm going to continue to post the link to the online Crowdrise fundraiser as long as it's active.  Click here to make a donation to our Eugene/Springfield chapter, and you'll immediately be provided with a receipt for tax purposes.  Maybe you have friends who might want to support us too?And thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment