Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Size DOES matter!

AARP Plastic

In last week's mail,  I got yet another invitation to join AARP.  Normally I just separate the paper from the plastic and recycle.  But this time, it dawned on me that that plastic can be one of our Days for Girls tools.  It's 3.5" wide.  I cut off 1/4" down the long side, giving a width of 3.25", slightly rounded the corners, and now have a pocket tester to make sure our shields are being made wide enough for the liners to fit well.


Remember, if you make shields, the side seams need to be sewn at a scant 1/4" and the topstitching is just 1/8" from the edges.  Pressing as you go is recommended and seems to help the shields reach their full size--just keep the iron moving so you don't melt the PUL.

If you receive any of those plastic inserts, would you please bring them in?

This is of particular interest to me today as I'm starting to put snaps on 80 shields going to Tanzania in a few days.  I'm having to set aside dozens of beautifully sewn shields--seemingly perfect except for the size.  Frightening numbers have a pocket only 3" wide!  If you're one of our shield makers, please be extra careful of those two things--sewing the shields with a scant 1/4" seam allowance and topstitching them just 1/8" from the edges.

Until I get a good supply of these hard (like credit cards) plastic pocket testers to pass out, you can make your own by cutting a 3.25" strip off a cereal or other box.


No comments:

Post a Comment